Thursday, May 15, 2014

Abramson Fired


A prominent New York media observer wrote in a recent post, Why Jill Abramson Was Fired, that former NY Times editor Jill Abramson was fired, in part, because she inquired as to pay discrepancies between her remuneration and that of her male predecessor:
"...Abramson discovered that her pay and her pension benefits as both executive editor and, before that, as managing editor were considerably less than the pay and pension benefits of Bill Keller, the male editor whom she replaced in both jobs. “She confronted the top brass,” one close associate said, and this may have fed into the management’s narrative that she was “pushy,” a characterization that, for many, has an inescapably gendered aspect." 
I will wait to hear from Ms. Abramson herself before tearing the NYT a new one. In the Twitter feed of Solange Knowles (I know, right?) lies this gem: "Yo. I don't believe in violence but I almost beat someone's ass tonight. Lot a bit of Martin, but a lot a bit of Malcom" (via Huffington Post). As white as I am, I know the feeling well.

No comments:

Post a Comment