Thursday, May 1, 2014

Women's Magazines


I'm an old now but when I was young I quit reading women's magazine's (when I was premenstrual especially) because they made me feel shitty about myself. Not surprised - but still mad and sad - to see that few things have changed. So You Think Women's Magazines Aren't That Bad? Bullshit - The Vagenda

I still don't read women's magazines for pretty much the same reason(s) though thankfully, premenstruality new word is a thing of the past. The through-line is that women's magazines - in fact pretty much most media- is designed to arouse desire in their readers, which translates into ad revenues. In other words, as my dear Dad used to say, "FOLLOW THE MONEY".

Furthermore, the name of the website where I found the essay, The Vagenda, is such gorgeously punful new word wordplay that it brings tears of delight to my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment